One of the best ways for parents and children to build self-esteem is to help children understand what healthy relationships between children can look like.
You can do this by recognizing important words and actions that lead to healthy relationships. It is also important to acknowledge areas that your child succeeds in.
These Spiral Mobiles help develop ideas about yourself and friendships in a creative way. You are a great person! This is a chance to create a great art project that shows who you are and what is important to you.
- The spiral mobile template
- One pair of scissors
- Coloring materials such as crayons or color pencils OR colored paper with the template printed on it
- A two to three foot piece of thread or string to hang the mobile from the ceiling
Step 1: The first thing you will do on each spiral is add writing. You can make as many spirals as you would like! Two or three might be a good way to start. Each spiral has a theme that is important to friendships, relationships and self-esteem in children.
Examples of themes include:
- Activities that you enjoy or are good at
- Words or phrases that show kindness to others
- Actions that show we care about others
- People in your life who support you
- Qualities that make you a good friend
- Words that inspire you
- Accomplishments that you are proud of
- What you dream of doing and becoming
- Things you like about your friends
- Things your friends and family like about you
Step 2: After you have added your writing, you can color or decorate them with crayons or colored pencils in solid or rainbow colors.
Steps 3 and 4 are great activities to get help from a parent or someone older if you need it.
Step 3: Next you will cut along the black line all the way to the center
Step 4: Finally, poke a small hole in the center of the spiral. Thread the string through the hole and tie or tape it to something safe near the ceiling. Again, ask for a parent or older person to help.
Now, when you watch your mobile spinning in the air, you can be reminded of all the good things about you as well as what is important to you!